Sunday, May 27, 2012

THE WORKPLACE BOREDOM !!!


Humans are naturally curious and thrive on novelty -- being a corporate wage slave for decades is inherently not compatible with happiness. As somebody who has no choice but to participate in this absurd system, it's depressing, to put it mildly. Sandi Mann, a senior psychology lecturer at the University of Central Lancashire, in England, says boredom is the second most commonly hidden workplace emotion, after anger, and believes modern workplaces are becoming more boring.


I work in an office looking at Excel spreadsheets,SQL databases or Java Codes ,waiting for days to get approval before I can move on with a project, waiting for an hour to get a reply to an important email all day. After a while I start to look at the ceiling, maybe pull up CNN and read some of the knuckleheads that post stuff; otherwise, yeah, it's like I work in a place where time stands still and I'm stuck going nowhere. People sometimes think working at technologically advanced workplace is rather less boring but I sometimes think that civilization is over-rated: I think I'd rather be hunting mastodons and living in a cave. I have a theory that 1/3 of the people in any given company can probably be laid off without any negative impact on productivity.  I also think, that might be a big factor is why hiring is still so slow. I am not really the Martin Luther King of off-business-hours employment. But people hold jobs outside of normal business hours too. Retail, food industry, hospital employees, fire fighters, police officers, etc. are all just pleasant volunteers! They are a bunch of people who work at times other than 9:00 am to 5:00 pm,even though that does not represent the hours for the vast majority of people. And working at those odd hours of the day could be REAL boring as you might have already noticed half of ‘em sleeping during wok hours[atleast here in my country,which happens to be India].

The number one lesson I'm going to teach my future kids is that life is too short to be a cubicle monkey; you really have to structure your lives to be completely independent (no bosses, no debts, no mortgage) and do something you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment